"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experience." Gordon B. Hinckley, 2006

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The DEDICATION

On Sunday we were able to attend the dedication of the temple.  This was, of course, the main reason for our trip over to the Ukraine.  And it was so absolutely wonderful.  I don't really know how to describe this, except to say that the spirit was so strong, and I am so glad that Brian and I were able to go.  There are no words to describe it.  I am trying to burn into my memory the feelings I felt, and the things I heard, and the Spirit I felt while listening to this dedication.

President Monson was, again, silly and personable and hilarious and goofy and at the same time--spiritual, powerful, and tender.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE President Monson.  Have I mentioned that before?  ;)

There were 3 dedication ceremonies.  We attended the 9:00 session.  After it was over we hung outside the temple the whole day.  We just wanted to be there.  It was a rejoicing of saints as we all visited together, celebrating this beautiful new temple.  Brian ran into members he knew from his mission, former mission companions, and it was a really fun day for us both.

Here is a picture of us by the cornerstone.

Here is a picture of me handing out little white hair bows to the children at the temple.

We met up with lots of friends!

And made some new friends from:

Belarussia

Armenia

And Georgia (the country)

I took lots of little gifts/trinkets to hand out (suckers, bracelets, necklaces, etc.) and made friends with all of the little kids that way.  :)

And we were still there, on the front row, when President Monson and President and Sister Uchtdorf came out of the temple.
 

President Monson was so kind and generous and you can tell that he loves spending time with the people.  He shook a lot of hands, gave a lot of hugs, and kept saying, "I don't want to leave!  What are we going to tell my wife?"

  • Favorite moments:  
  • When President Monson went up and gave a very old lady in front of us a great big hug.
  • Watching how happy the Saints of the Ukraine, Russia, Belarussia, Armenia, etc. were to see and shake hands with the prophet.
  • There was one lady behind me that was pushing up against me from behind, trying desperately to get to the front to see the prophet.  I grabbed her hand, gave her a little yank, pushing her ahead of me to the front row and told her, "Go for it!"  She reached her hand out and called out in her sweet Russian accent, "My dear Prophet!"  It reminded me of the story in the Bible of the woman in the crowds that wanted to just touch the hem of the Savior's garment.  This story ends happily--she was successful, and he did come to her and shake her hand and it made my day to see her joy complete.

Then after an already perfect day, we were able to meet up at one of the churches (by this I mean where they met--it was on the 3rd and 5th floors of a building in center Kiev) for a reunion of missionaries and members.  It was so uplifting and wonderful to meet everyone, hear stories of missionary work and conversion, and get to spend more time basking in the joy and love of the saints of Kiev.
First Branch President in the Ukraine--used to be Jewish



Senior Couple Missionaries that served with Brian

More Senior Couple Missionaries that served with Brian

First batch of missionaries that served in Ukraine

Not far behind the first batch

Couple missionaries with Svyeta and Igor Podubnii (more about them later, amazing Ukrainian saints!)


I saw lots of neat braids while I was over in the Ukraine.  Isn't this cute?


4 comments:

Nana Candy said...

I love being able to share your feelings through your blog.

Joyce said...

I love that first picture of you and Brian, it is so good of both of you! Thanks for sharing all of this Wendi it is so interesting.

Melissa said...

I love that you helped push that older lady to the front. What a great moment for her! Cool idea to take trinkets for the kids. What made you think to bring those kind of things along?

Bond Girl 007 said...

ohhhh how wonderful...loved all your stories and all the photos...and specially the one of pres. monson...he looks just sooo cool.......love him too! amazing. wendi